The web sites above have vastly distinct designs, however they every observe some basic rules of fine web site design, particularly: readability. Not each web site has to make use of a minimalist design, however they need to all provide clear, uncluttered data for the customer.
When a customer lands on your private home web page, they need to discover two staple items: what you do and what you need them to do, says Stefan Davis, proprietor and principal designer of Stefan Davis Design, which gives web site and different design companies for campaigns and nonprofit organizations.
“No matter your objective is, choose a name to motion that will get you to that objective,” Davis mentioned. “[Include] one part that tells [the visitor], what’s going to this web site do for you? What sort of data are we giving the reader? And what do we would like them to do?”
Davis recommends these key components of fine web site design:
- Consistency in colours. Restrict your colour palette for graphic components to 5 colours: one white, one black and three colours which can be constant together with your model.
- Constant fonts and sizes. Use fonts that match your model information when you have one. Select a single dimension and weight for header fonts and one for physique fonts. An excessive amount of selection makes the positioning look cluttered.
- Use lots of photographs, particularly photos of individuals. Davis recommends the house web page be 50/50 photos and textual content to keep away from overwhelming the customer with a wall of textual content.
- Uncluttered. Keep away from an excessive amount of textual content, and don’t pack a number of CTAs or an excessive amount of data into one part.
- Embrace a single CTA on the house web page to offer the reader clear route.
A designer and developer can add bells and whistles to assist your web site stand out, however you may obtain knowledgeable and helpful web site expertise with no ton of technical know-how or an enormous finances by following these primary rules. Davis notes that drag-and-drop web site builders equivalent to Squarespace and Wix are deliberately arrange for non-coders, whereas WordPress is a greater match if you wish to closely customise.